These instructions are for running the game from the Linux Steam client using Steam Play. Running the game with your own Wine installation should be considered unsupported.
- Install Winetricks for your Linux distribution.
- In Steam, go to View → Settings → Steam Play and Enable Steam Play for all titles, if you haven’t already.
- Note what Proton version you’re using. We have only tested with Proton 5.0-9 (the default and most recent version at the time of writing).
- Install STEINS;GATE 0.
- Download the patch.
- Unzip the archive somewhere, not in your game directory.
- Browse to the newly extracted
DO NOT simply run SG0Patch-Installer.exe with Wine.
Instead, open a shell and use the following commands:
WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/825630/pfx winetricks vcrun2017
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/825630 ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton\ 5.0-9/proton run SG0Patch-Installer.exe
IMPORTANT: If the Steam library you installed STEINS;GATE 0 into is somewhere else, replace both occurrences of
~/.local/share/Steamaccordingly. If you’re not using Proton 5.0-9, replace that too (check your
steamapps/commonto find the right folder).
- Follow the instructions.
Clicking Play in Steam should now run the patch launcher. Make sure you’ve clicked Finish in the installer before trying to start the launcher.
- Kanji in karaoke subtitles are rendered as boxes.
- Leaving the installer running too long may crash it (this has been reported fixed, if you encounter this please let us know)
After clicking Play, Steam installs DirectX, then the launcher starts. After clicking Start Game, the game starts unpatched.
You ran the installer with a different Wine/Proton version than the one you configured Steam to use for STEINS;GATE 0. Rerun the installer with the version you want to use, and make sure Steam is set up to use it for launching the game.
To uninstall, browse to the game directory (e.g.
~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/STEINS;GATE 0), open a shell and run:
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/825630 ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton\ 5.0-9/proton run nguninstall.exe
Note this will leave your game unable to start, as Steam Play currently has an issue with the game’s
boot.bat script which we work around by replacing it with a symlink to the patch launcher,
LauncherC0.exe. After you uninstall the patch, that program will be gone, so you’ll need to replace
boot.bat with either a symlink to or a copy of the game’s official launcher,
launcher.exe, to make it work again.